Wednesday, December 5, 2007

[ Carrier Differences ]

Since I'm on a roll, I may as well keep going.

Coverage



So the cities I've been to with these handsets:
  • LA (West Hollywood, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills (actual hills), Venice, and parts of North Hollywood, and the Burbank areas)
  • SF bay area. (SF, San Jose... well 650, 408, and 415 area codes, Berkeley and the Oakland Hills)
  • NYC (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn
  • Parts of Jersey (Jersey City, Hoboken,  and Ft Lee..)
  • Washington D.C., Baltimore, MD, Arlington, Virginia 
  • Houston, Texas
  • Denver, Colorado
  • Oahu (Hawaii Kai, Loa Ridge, Honolulu, Waikiki)

  • Now Boston and Cambridge.

1. Sprint
voice = No issues anywhere
data = Semi-decent

2. AT&T
voice = Extremely spotty
data = EDGE connects almost everywhere but WiFi is faster. Significantly.

3. T-mobile
voice = Spotty - Especially in the Boston area
data = FAST... even faster on Wi-Fi

4. Verizon
voice = Excellent. Sprint beats them by a notch
data = Fast and reliable

That said, ranking for voice calls:
  1. Sprint. Hands down
  2. Verizon
  3. T-mobile
  4. AT&T
As surprising as this may sound, Sprint has given me the best voice coverage. Hands down. So many people complain about Sprint, but as a customer since 2000 (I've kept the same number with data on this rockin' plan. I can't get rid of it, even with number portability), even with a crusty four year old phone, Sprint is the best. Now the customer service, billing issues are another story. People, perspective please. I understand the overall experience weighs into a lot of your impressions, but think about the service and reliability of voice calls, please. Or perhaps, since I only stick to Sanyo handsets, the Qualcomm chip is most CDMA compatible. Who knows. Either which way, Sprint RULES.

At&T does not even deserve the fourth spot. Their voice service SUCKS. Period.

Data ranking:
  1. T-mobile
  2. Verizon
  3. Sprint
  4. AT&T (Edge)
Perhaps my data assessment is not fair, since I utilize WiFi more than respective data networks. I even have the 20 dollar a month T-mobile hotspot plan to jump on the net anytime. And at this time, WiFi beats all the carrier data networks.


So these are my experiences, what are yours?

No comments: